It’s Fire Prevention Week!
It’s Fire Prevention Week everyone! To help you prevent a mishap from happening in your home, we’ve put together a list of important tips to help keep you and your family safe.
Never leave the kitchen unattended if you are cooking.
The most common cause of fires in the home is unattended cooking. We know it’s easy to get distracted, but it’s also important to keep your focus on something that can lead to a potential danger for you and your family. To prevent a potential fire, you can set a timer to let you know when you should take food out of the oven, turn off the stove if you need to leave the kitchen for any reason and keep flammable items like oven mitts, towels and wooden utensils away from the stovetop.
Place smoke detectors and fire extinguishers throughout your home.
Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are a key part to the safety plan for your home. Smoke alarms are your early warning system that a fire has erupted in your home. Smoke detectors should be placed high on a wall or on the ceiling in and near the sleeping areas of your home. Detectors should also be placed at least 10 feet away from the stove to prevent false alarms while cooking.
Fire extinguishers should be placed throughout your home, such as bedrooms and along the escape routes in your home. They should also be placed in areas that can be prone to fires, such as the kitchen, furnace area, as well as garage and workshop areas.
Be sure to test your smoke alarms monthly and fire extinguishers should be inspected and certified annually.
Observe appropriate candle safety precautions.
Everybody loves candles. The light is soothing. The scents are pleasing. But even candles need to be used in the safest way possible to prevent a fire in your home.
First and foremost, always keep a burning candle in your line of sight. You should never burn a candle close to something that can catch fire. Candles should always be kept out of the reach of children and pets. Most importantly, you should always place a candle on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
Be sure to follow all of these tips to keep your home and loved ones safe.